This course is suitable for students who have completed the beginners’ course, or who can read and write simple Arabic, the Intermediate course, it develops reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- Builds up reading and writing skills; short stories and media articles
- Develop grammar to intermediate level
- Improve listening by using the Arabic media
- Expand conversation skills
What is the course about?
The course aims to equip you with the skills to converse in everyday situations using Arabic and to communicate in writing in a variety of situations. Modern Standard Arabic and the spoken form close to it are used in the class. Reference will be made to the major colloquial varieties, when relevant.
What topics will we cover?
Based on Mastering Arabic 2 and the tutor's own material, the course has a strong emphasis on communication skills using mainly Modern Standard Arabic and the spoken variety close to it.
Topics include: I and others,
house and home, work and professional life, sport and leisure, travel and tourism, spoken dialects and cultural knowledge.
Grammar: pronouns, plural, adjectives, present and past tense, verbal nouns and negatives.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- discuss/talk about family, relations and friends
- give and ask for personal information
- ask for information and speak about professional life
- discuss jobs, sport and leisure, travel and tourism
- express preferences/likes/dislikes
- learn about Arabic everyday life and culture
- participate in straightforward social conversations
- write simple texts, e.g. a letter or a description of events
- develop strategies for coping with unfamiliar language or unexpected responses, such as asking for repetition or clarification.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should have completed Stage 1
How will I be taught?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate